Monday, February 7, 2011

Late night

Warning this is way random, but some how makes some semblance of sense, maybe it's the lack of sleep.
It's late at night and I'm getting sleepy. I have a scratchy throat and an ache in my left collar bone. I have a homework assignment for my French class this evening that is not technically done, meaning I haven't done it yet. Yesterday's episode of Glee was really cool and the Packers winning the Super Bowl made my day/week so far. I have a geography quiz on Wednesday that I need to study for. Books for classes that unfortunately will not read and discuss themselves. Papers that are even less likely to write themselves then the books are to read themselves. Now, in the time that it took me to type all of this I did not think of people who are in my classes that annoy me, or people who disagree with my social and political viewpoints, or who have religious beliefs that differ from mine. If we all took a moment to look at our own lives and examine everything we need to get done in a day, or what needs to happen this week, or this month, or the next two months, we wouldn't have time for judging people and telling them that they are wrong. This extends beyond the LGBTQ community. People who identify with this label are very whiny about what they don't have. Sure, everyone deserves equal rights, but forming a community and saying "I'm super special awesome, because I'm a boy and I like boys" or "I'm super special awesome because I'm a girl and like girls" "I'm changing my gender to fit my gender identity" give me rights because of these things, simply pushes away the majority. People who identify as some strain of LGBTQ are in the minority. This doesn't mean we need to sit down and shut up, but it does mean we are human. This country was founded on the principals that all humans are born free and equal. We have the unalienable rights of "... life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness..."that is why we deserve equal rights, not because we sleep with the same gender or are changing our physical gender: those are the circumstances of our lives. Being LGBTQ is not some great and holy gift, but neither is it a curse: it's a part of human existence, every human existence. As everyone likes to proclaim right now, everyone is special and unique in their own way, no two people are a like. Some of us have amazing talents for performing music and making art, others have extraordinary talents for organization, or can make a trashy apartment into Buckingham Palace, or a bolt of fabric into a beautiful gown, others can communicate with words in writing or speech better than others. Everyone has a unique talent making each of us unique but at the same time normal. But not each of us is as great as the next: if we all could write like Dickens, Austen, Baudelaire, or any of the greats, would we be able to appreciate a great story or poem? If we could all sing beautifully, there would be no record industry or concerts. So the next time you are feeling "normal" or "average," don't bemoan it remember their is something that you are very good at, if I was a cheesy card I'd say you are good at just being you and that makes you special, as tempting as it is to say this..... ah what the heck, you being you makes you special. There is only one me and one you. No photo or carbon copies, when we were made the mold was broken, and thank god for that 'cause one of me is more than enough. If you didn't realize, one person's whole world just stopped revolving around them and started revolving around you, your welcome, now do the same for somebody else.

No comments: